The BFMA aims to create a unified voice for the UK model industry. Its activities are informed by the main objective of its members which is to discover, develop and represent fashion models so as to enable them to enjoy profitable, safe and fulfilling careers.
Members meet at regular intervals and maintain an on-going dialogue with clients from all sectors and with other relevant stakeholders. These include NGOs, government and regulatory bodies such as HMRC, the Home Office / UK Border, and other trade associations. These dialogues are conducted with the view to enhancing the working conditions & welfare of the models which the BFMA’s members represent and the regulatory framework within which the industry operates.
The aims of BFMA are to:
1. Promote the interests of fashion model agencies which in turn have a duty to manage the careers of their models to maximum benefit
2. To safeguard the health and wellbeing of models
3. Provide member agencies with the requisite information to best ensure they comply with all relevant legislation & best practice
4. Operating under the aegis of the British Fashion Council, to set the highest standards of model care & welfare to be maintained across the fashion industry
5. To maintain the ethical standards of the modelling industry
6. To provide a voice to Government, NGOs and the media
7. To work towards the elimination of rogue agents
8. Public point of contact for enquiries
9. To provide a clear route for models to report, in confidence, any incidents of harassment and abuse
10. To ensure that member agencies subscribe to the Aims and the Code of Conduct and to have the remit to investigate/suspend or strike off a member